August 28, 2013

Clos Maggiore

France is without doubt one of my favorite European Holiday destinations. 

Every corner of the nation is saturated with delicious eateries, cultural jewels and unique clothing boutiques. However due to recent work commitments, gallivanting around the Arc de Triomphe, baguette and beret in hand is a hobby that I haven’t been able to indulge in as much as I would have liked to for Summer 2013.

In search of a taste of Haute French cuisine for my Staycation, I came across Clos Maggiore in the depths of London’s cultural hub- Covent Garden and ‘Sacrebleu’ was it something to shout about!


Hidden behind an unassuming doorway on London’s bustling King Street, you are welcomed into a still oasis by a delightfully charming maitre d’. I’d previously heard that Clos Maggiore was crowned “London’s most romantic restaurant” but it is only upon entering the initial foyer door of the restaurant that you understand how true this really is.




A Tuscan inspired haven with a billowing fireplace planted in the middle of the main dining room- a Carrie Bradshaw closet inspired gasp was the only sound that managed to escape my [hungry] mouth. [For my male readers- thats like the Megan Fox scene in the Transformers- don’t even try and deny it!]



The ceiling is intertwined with beautiful white blossoms fitting for balmy summer nights, and I’m told that the glass roof retracts on hot summers days [although I’m yet to experience this marvel].  

We were handed a wine book the length of a novel to cruise over while we chowed down on delicious cuts of bread fresh from a Wicca basket. Slightly judgmental of me, but I feel you can always deduce how the courses to follow will fare based on a restaurants bread basket- and my slice of warm and crusty French baguette definitely had me eagerly awaiting my following rounds.

After an internal battle between dish choices and carrying out my standard surveillance of surrounding tables choices [warning: everything looks scrumptious.], I decided on the Honey Glazed Breast of Goosnargh Duck accompanied by Roasted Red Plums & Endive Meunière drizzled with Ruby Port Sauce.


This dish tasted as phenomenal as it looks. The Red Plums were succulent and enhanced the sweetness of the duck breast which was washed down well with our choice of Pinot Blanc ‘Les Princes Abbes’


Culinary senses: soaring, restaurant plate: empty.  

A game of Dessert Menu Roulette later [it makes life more interesting!] we settled for the Praline ‘Paris Brest’ & Toasted Salted Hazelnuts.


I could have happily devoured a few of these intricately crafted desserts, they were delectable! An amazing combination of sweet and salty hazelnuts had me literally doing cheer-squad cartwheels for the chef! Go on, have a closer look...



For anyone visiting on date night [or otherwise], make sure you sit in the conservatory- fine wine and contemporary French cuisine in beautiful surroundings is definitely a recipe for success.

Bon Appétit readers!  





No comments:

Post a Comment