August 10, 2013

Baku-na Matata

New experiences tend to be a frequent occurrence for me these days. 

At precisely 00.00am on 1st January 2013, I proclaimed to whoever would listen that 2013 would be the year that I break all normal traits and experience anything and everything [within reason] that comes my way. Although my credibility at the time was put into question [I made this “new experiences” speech wearing a sailors hat while clutching an empty bottle of Laurent Perrier and swaying rhythmically to Kool and the Gang- Celebrate Good Times],I’ve managed to hold up my end of the bargain!


However, occasionally a girl needs the comfort of the known and what better known than Baku Restaurant & Bar. I celebrated my most recent birthday here in a Gatsby Themed Affair, and have been a regular ever since! The Bar, Restaurant and Lounge located at the end of Sloane Street provides me with 3 separate floors depending on what my mood calls for. Want to boogie the night away? Head to the lounge! Want to consume amounts that’ll feed a small army? There’s a floor for that too [in an elegant, airy dining space might I add.]

After what seemed like a never ending day, I found myself calling an old friend and swiftly making a reservation for authentic Azerbaijani. Selecting my weapon of choice, these two-tone babies which you can find here


and participating in a shameless selfie session pre-exiting my humble abode

I descended down Sloane Street [something about this street always makes me strut] to my destination.



Greeted and seated by the beautiful somelier, we were handed our token Ipads to scan the menu and select a mass amount of food.  I began to unwind as I nattered away with my friend about things past and present.  

For starters, my favourite California Roll with Alaskan King Crab, avocado and tobiko and a cheeky Gutab 3 ways. 3 stuffed pancakes with minced lamb, herbs and pumpkin- one of my Azerbaijan favourites!



Unfortunately, I wharfed down my main course without a bat of an eyelid or a single lift of a camera- but it was the Honey glazed duck breast and pickled kumquat, buttered savoy cabbage. Judging by my plate


You can tell it was a good’un!

For dessert a dense Rhubarb tart with bits of raspberry caviar littering the plate and vanilla ice cream.


 Although this wasn't as good as my usual dessert order, the delicious Chocolate fondant and pistachio ice cream served with chai jelly- definitely a Little Londonist recommended dessert as it is scrumptious. [Another clean plate situation- I’m told licking the remains of the fondant off of the plate is just bad manners.]


They say life is what happens when you’re busy making new plans, but who needs new when the known tastes this good!