July 26, 2013

Row Row Row your Glass Boat

Being by the sea always calms me.

Whether it’s dipping my toe into The Indian Ocean or swinging my legs off of the barge on The Albert Embankment, there’s something about those waves lapping up that instantly puts me at ease. So you can imagine my excitement when dinner was booked at the glass vessel that glides across London’s best-loved sights aboard The Thames- The Symphony from Bateaux London.

Deciding that only floor length glamorista would be appropriate for such an occasion, I threw on my dress, hair sprayed to within an inch of flammable [boat hair is not attractive], and began my adventure down by the river.

Breathtaking is the only way to describe the view that The Symphony so happily places on your doorstep. Accented by dark wooden flooring, sleek furniture and spacious atmosphere- couples, families and friends all board this boat to soak in the incredible sites that London has to offer-
I boarded it for the food.

A 3 course delight with more than enough options for the carnivores and the herbivores, I was singing at sea before the boat had even left the dock. Accompanied by the most incredibly suave jazz gentleman- the siren was sounded and off we went, leaving all of our problems ashore and setting sail to a metropolis of blue [a bit dramatic for The Thames but I told you- water does this to me!]

You have to choose your entire menu, which I'm not so fond of but hey when in Rome [again- yes I know it’s just The Thames]. For starters I opted for the Confit Rabbit and Duck Leg Terrine accompanied by fruit & nut bread, roasted fig and rocket cress. A carnivores dream. The terrine was smooth and biteable, and set the tone for the rest of the meal.

Soon to follow, post a palette cleansing Apple and Calvados Sorbet...

Pheasant Breast with squash and horseradish cake, roasted chestnuts and cranberries. This wasn’t my favourite course as I felt that the Pheasant could have been seasoned slightly better, but the squash and horseradish cake was delicious!


And finally, the apple of my eye – or banana in this case, dessert. A milk chocolate mousse accompanied by orange sorbet and banana tuile [ which rest be assured, I did receive many top-ups of!] Do not even contemplate ordering anything else, this is a real treat!


Consumed in the plethora of food we completely neglected the most incredible sites that were engulfing us, but at a cruise time of 2 hours and 45 minutes there’s plenty of time for both!



Fed, watered [wine’d] and rested- off we went for a stroll down The Embankment. London- you do me proud!