September 20, 2014

Cigarettes & Men at The Chiltern Firehouse

Ok... so perhaps the title is a little misleading- but this change in weather has made me want to be a little controversial. 



I'd been to Chiltern Firehouse previously for dinner but had never experienced the brunch/ lunch sitting. Getting a classic case of food envy from my counterparts that had raved about the airy atmosphere and slightly less hectic sitting- I decided it was my turn... the brunch/lunch menu was something that I could not possibly do without. 

I threw on my Sunday best...


and enlisted the help of my favourite male companion...



My Chanel Boy Bag [which you can find here] A bit of an investment piece but I promise you- you'll definitely put it to good use! 

One lengthy Uber and a brief confrontation with a more than slick Italian man at the door- we marched our way through the outdoor seating area into the main restaurant.





It's beautiful. 

So Chiltern Firehouse used to be a firehouse, funnily enough.
Now it's the humble abode of André Balazs' newest and much raved about hotspot. His name might be familiar to you [unless you've resided under a rock for the last decade] He's the statuesque man behind Chateau Marmont in Hollywood and he's hop, skipped and jumped across the pond to set the London market on fire[house]. Sorry couldn't resist.

Having heard so much about the lunch/brunch sitting- I was already attempting to articulate my excitement as we walked through the restaurant... 


Now what was meant to be a brunch/lunch turned into a bit of feast... 







The crab doughnuts were a home run for me- soft, fluffy and filled with the freshest most delicious crab meat. The Monkfish was slightly over cooked and made for a bit of a rubbery experience, but it was more than compensated by the crunch of the puffed barley and the waft of fennel from the puree. 
And for dessert you say? [Because who in the right mind doesn't have a four course meal at circa 2pm in the afternoon...]
Me: "What's the Frozen Apple Panacotta?"
Waiter: "It's a panacotta maam" 
Me: "I hate panacotta-does it taste like panacotta?"
Waiter: "Not at all maam. " 
Now I thought this was just one of those appeasing lies I was told by service that I'd immediately regret buying into once the dish arrived at my table...

He was absolutely right- this was the most abstract tasting panna cotta that I'd ever had and it was incredible.


The praline dessert failed in comparison for me slightly but was all in all a delicious experience. 
Fed, full and suffering from minor food sweats we headed for a stroll through my beautiful city...
Race you to the Firehouse Readers! 






No comments:

Post a Comment