January 28, 2014

Putting the Frosting on Cocktail Hour

You’re sitting at the table.


You’re mulling over good conversation while you survey the wine list, you place your order and over the maitre de comes with two shining vessels of the good stuff. With a flick of your head and a tousle of your hair, you reach forward for your glass and suddenly he’s blinded...

Ok slightly whimsical, admittedly, but the value of a well placed Cocktail Ring has rapidly diminished from its inception in the roaring 20’s. 


Worn by women during the prohibition period in the US of A, these giant rings were worn as a statement by women who were flaunting the fact that they were throwing caution to the wind, living on the edge and ignoring the prohibition laws- known in modern day society as having a good ol’ legs up at Cocktail hour.
While I’m not suggesting that the cocktail ring will magically transform you into a resident LOTE’r [living on the edge’r], it will definitely swiftly transform your outfit from day to night in a second.

I’ve been collecting cocktail rings ever since I was old enough to raid my mother’s jewellery box, and my two favourites happen to be


This number that I picked up from one of my favourite find stores- Colette


And this little sparkler I picked up from Portobello Road Market.


Now warning my feint fashion hearted, don’t do this in halves! Choose a ring that’s really going to stand out and enhance the outfit you’re wearing-maybe even tie a colour in from your outfit to add to the overall look- that doesn’t mean go for a super sized, LED lights flashing knuckle duster- but something that’s going to make a statement.

Here are a few of my favourites readily available on the market at the moment:


That you can find from original, inspiring and ethical Gemporia.



This Triple Stacker Bar Ring from Whistles available from here



This incredible Guy & Max Vintage Cube Ring available from here [accommodates 3 different finger sizes- good for those last minute accessory swaps with the girls!]


Keep the boys at arms lengths with this romantic and urban edgy armour ring from My Flash Trash available from this doll of a website here. 

A good cocktail ring is always my go to accessory when I’m running out of the door- what’s your favourite go to accessory?  


No comments:

Post a Comment