October 27, 2013

Harry Gordon's Bar

My connection with Selfridges is that of a steady long-term relationship.

When times are good they’re really good, we may argue every now and again when I have to queue to demand his time or his service is sloppy but all in all I know I can bank on him when times are rough [or I’ve left gifts to the last minute!] and he will rarely lead me astray [floor plan memorized to a T.]

After whizzing around the store collecting a plethora of canary yellow bags and artfully balancing them on each shoulder, it was time to stop and refuel. My usual haunt, Hix, seemed to be bursting at the seams and in an attempt to spicing up the variety in my life- I went in search of a new oasis in which to quench my thirst and lift my spirits [lift and pour straight into a glass that is.] 
    
Tired with feet singing from the pain that taking my new moccasins out for a spin caused, in the distance swung a glimmer of hope.



Enter... Harry Gordon’s Bar.       


The bar is small in size and very understated, so it didn't blow my mind at first- but as any lady will know- the feet pain will not wait.

Thankful for finally finding a seat, the bags were dropped swiftly to the floor and I was ready to work my way one by one through each of the innovative cocktails. Our colorful attired friend came bounding over accessorized with a smile, and was absolutely delightful in helping us with cocktail selections.


Upon attacking the complimentary savoury popcorn [tomato and mozzarella flavoured- a cheats pizza in a small bite of air] we made our selection and the battle began:


Round 1: The Naked Blush and The Old Fashioned. [No prizes for guessing which was the male and which was the female choice!]


The cocktails were strong but definitely well disguised and smoothly mixed so we glugged away- only later feeling the true effects as the volume of our conversation went from 4 to off the scales as the measure on the glass got fainter.

Post shamelessly requesting consistent top up’s of the magical pizza popcorn, our amazing waiter did what we were all hoping he would and tipped the bag into a fish bowl sized vessel and left us scavengers to incessantly pick.  

Round 2: The House Gin Fizz and The Sparkling Belle- both of which were absolutely scrumptious! 



Someone else clearly caught the shutterbug too...

After sampling a good selection of the cocktail menu, I think it’s fair to say that I underestimated Harry Gordon’s Bar. The staff are extremely helpful and chatty, it’s not as noisy or busy as a few of the other eateries in Selfridges and the cocktails were delectable!  



A definite must visit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment